Sample Submissions to UH ADSC
To submit a leaf sample for coffee leaf rust ID, follow the instructions below.
- Clean, unused Ziplock bag(s)
- Permanent marker
- Clean, unused paper towels
- Cooler with a small bag of ice, an ice pack, and a small, light towel for keeping the samples cool
- >70% alcohol
- Optional: Gloves
- Organize a cooler before collecting the leaf samples.
- Place a small bag of ice or an icepack on the bottom of the cooler and cover the ice or icepack with a light towel.
- Clearly label the clean, unused Ziploc bag(s) with:
- Your name and/or farm name,
- Date of collection, and
- Field or section ID from where the sample is to be taken.
- Collect coffee leaves that display coffee leaf rust (CLR) symptoms.
- Photos of CLR can be found at: https://www.hawaiicoffeeed.com/clr.html
- Optional: use gloves to collect the leaf samples.
- Try to collect leaves that do not have water, dew, or other free forms of water on them, or rot may set in.
- If leaves have water and other moisture on them and you must submit these leaves, DO NOT wipe off the water. Gently shake off any excess water and place the leaves between two sheets of clean paper towel.
- Place the leaves in the bag and seal the bag completely.
- Sanitize your hands or gloves, the outside of the Ziplock(s), and any tools prior to the next sample collection within the farm.
- Follow sanitation protocols prior to driving to another location or farm.
- Place the bagged leaf sample(s) ON the towel for indirect cooling and to preserve the integrity of the sample.
- OR, place the bagged leaf samples in a refrigerator.
- Do not freeze samples.
- Prevent decay and rot of leaves. Submit tissue samples as soon as possible.
- Bring the sample to your nearest Cooperative Extension Office on Mondays or Tuesday mornings before 10:00 am.
- It may be best to schedule an appointment to be sure that staff are able to assist you and accept your sample and payment. Locate the various Cooperative Extension offices and contact information at: https://cms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ce/Find-Us
- Fill out the proper forms with assistance from the office staff.
- Include your farm address and TMK on the forms to assist with survey records and farm assistance.
- Include an email or phone number for communications.
- Pay for the sample analysis. Cash (in full amount) and check (to: University of Hawaii) is accepted.
- Disease (D1) samples cost $12 a sample.
- Visit https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/site/downloads/adsc/price_list.pdf to view all ADSC analytical service fees.
- When completed, the results will be sent to you via email and/or mail.